Amazon sells each product that you may think of, however that doesn’t imply you should sell simply any product on Amazon. The e-commerce massive actively attempts to shield its purchasers from fraudulent or dangerous products. To acquire its goals, Amazon has a couple of classes that might be confined to maximum sellers. They are cited as ‘Restricted Categories’ or ‘Ungated Categories’.
For certain products, brands, categories, and sub-categories, Amazon requires sellers to obtain approval before listing products for sale. The approval process may include document requests, performance checks, and other qualifications.
Here is the list of restricted categories in the United States:
Holiday Selling Requirements in Toys & Games
Personal Safety and Household products
Amazon Watch Warranty FAQs
Streaming Media Players
Video, DVD, & Blu-ray
Made in Italy
Restricted Products on Amazon
In addition to the categories, there are certain restricted products requiring approval to sell. Some of these products may also be banned on the platform. Amazon also regulates the use of brands, so if you’re planning to sell a product from a well-known brand, make sure that you have permission to do so.
Here’s the list of restricted products in the US:
● Animals & Animal-Related Products
● Art – Fine Art
● Art – Home Decor
● Automotive and Powersports
● Composite Wood Products
● Cosmetics & Skin/Hair Care
● COVID-19 Supplies
● Currency, Coins, Cash Equivalents, and Gift Cards
● Dietary Supplements
● Drugs & drug paraphernalia
● Explosives, Weapons, and Related Items
● Export Controls
● Food & Beverage
● Gambling & Lottery
● Hazardous and Dangerous Items
● Human Parts & Burial Artifacts
● Jewelry & Precious Gems
● Laser products
● Lock Picking & Theft Devices
● Medical devices and accessories
● Offensive and Controversial Materials
● Pesticides and Pesticide Devices
● Plant and Seed Products
● Postage Meters & Stamps
● Recalled Products
● Recycling electronics
● Subscriptions and Periodicals
● Surveillance Equipment
● Tobacco & Tobacco-Related Products
● Warranties, Service Plans, Contracts, and Guarantees
● Other Restricted Products
● Refrigerants: Ozone-Depleting Substances and Substitutes
● Upholstered Furniture, Bedding, & Other Quilted Products
● CPAP Cleaning and Disinfecting Devices
How to Get Amazon Categories Approval
1. Go to your Seller Central account and click on inventory.
2. Select ‘Add a Product’
3. Search for the product you want to sell.
4. If it returns as restricted, click ‘Listing Limitations Apply’
5. Click the ‘Request Approval’ button.
6. Provide Documentation
Getting approval to sell products in restricted categories is not easy, but it is often worth the effort. Once you cross the initial barrier to entry, you set yourself apart from other sellers. Restricted categories are also less saturated, which means less competition. This will help you capture a larger market share and increase your revenue. It also allows you to create a great brand and reputation in these categories. If you’re willing to go the extra mile, this is a great opportunity to grow your business.